Welcome to Week 5 of the 2020 Jefferson County Movin’ Mountains’ Challenge
For the next couple of weeks I will be talking about one of my favorite subjects and that is exercise. I know to all of people it is not something they want or enjoy doing. As the attached document will address cardio-vascular exercise does help with weight loss since you are expending calories as you exercise. The bottom line in weight loss is the amount of calories you expend out numbers the amount of calories you take in. So if you can add some exercise and increase the deficit it can definitely help. One of the biggest reasons people do not exercise is because they get bored with what they are doing and quit. So it is important to find something you like to do and don’t be afraid to mix it up. Say one day you ride your bike, on another walk your dog and then play some tennis. Mixing it up will help with the boredom and keep you moving.
Here is the recommendation for adults from the American Heart Association on exercise:
- Get at least 150 minutes per week of moderate-intensity aerobic activity or 75 minutes per week of vigorous aerobic activity, or a combination of both, preferably spread throughout the week.
- Add moderate- to high-intensity muscle-strengthening activity (such as resistance or weights) on at least 2 days per week.
- Spend less time sitting. Even light-intensity activity can offset some of the risks of being sedentary.
- Gain even more benefits by being active at least 300 minutes (5 hours) per week.
- Increase amount and intensity gradually over time.
If you look at the 150 minutes per week that divides out to around 20 minutes a day…even doing that amount in 10 minute segments is beneficial. Start slow so you can tolerate the exercise and do not set too high of an expectation for yourself.
Attached are the fit tip (on cardiovascular exercise) and recipe of the week. The recipe is one of my favorite breakfast foods…Margherita Pizza!! The pizza is simple, easy to make and very healthy since it is only tomatoes, low-fat mozzarella cheese and basil. Try it…
Have a great week!